You know exercise is important to health, but sometimes it feels impossible to squeeze it in. On those busy days, your best bet is to be active as a family. Kids need at least an hour of active play (at a moderate or intense intensity level) every day. Adults need at least a half hour. Being active together is fun, a great way to connect and another opportunity to be a positive role model for your kids, instilling the value of health.
Need ideas? Here are TWENTY ways to be active together:
- Play soccer together
- Go to a nearby track, walk or jog laps, go up and down the bleachers and/or do body weight strength exercises in the field. Kids can play together in the field or ride bikes/scooters around the track. Got a little one in a stroller? Jog a couple laps, park it and do a set of strength exercises, repeat.
- Play basketball at an outdoor or indoor court
- Swim together! Play games like “Marco Polo” or “Sharks and Minnows.”
- Explore your local trails—go on a hike!
- Does your community have multiuse paths? Go on a walk together. If you have little kids, jog alongside them while they ride their bikes or scooters.
- Go on a family bike ride!
- Explore your local parks. While kids play, do intervals of jogging around the playground and strength exercises alongside the area where your kids are playing.
- Play catch or play a game of baseball with another family.
- Play fetch with your dog. Don’t have one? Volunteer as a dog-walker at your local animal shelter!
- Throw a frisbee.
- Have a jump rope challenge—see who can go the longest!
- Fly a kite.
- Play tag.
- Exercise on the sidelines of your kids’ sports practice.
- Play paddleball or tennis.
- Have a relay race.
- Play flag football.
- Play volleyball or tetherball at a local park.
How do you squeeze in a workout and help you kids stay active? Share in the comments below!